Thursday, September 20, 2012

Foodie Friday


Welcome to Foodie Friday. 
Fall has arrived at Rattlebridge. The sky is porcelain blue, and the breeze carries the smell of woodsmoke. It's one of those warm, coolish days. I love this weather, but we're feeling too puny to enjoy it. A croupy-cold has sickened us all (and, since bad luck comes in bunches, my poor laptop died--from overuse, my agent said). 
I stood on the porch a minute, enjoying the sunshine, and gave myself a pep talk. I'm buried in work, but I do not have time to be sick. I can do this. Our family motto is:
Yes, you can. And you will.
A family tradition is to make a cup of tea and count blessings. I am using the spare laptop--not familiar with the keyboard just yet--but I managed to pull up an old, "tea-centered" post. (Also a bad weather post, but tea is always welcome.) Whether you are healthy or out-of-sorts, I hope you will enjoy it.
 

On rainy Sundays, I crave heat and light.

I'm ready for flannel, fuzzy slippers, and comfort food.
But sometimes I need more.

I need a comfort-scape.


A comfort-scape is a cousin to a tablescape, but it appeals to the emotions, engages the senses, and contains edible elements. The idea is to build a little microcosm that distracts you from abysmal weather.







Elements of a Comfort-Scape

Scented candles send ripples of light over your table and perfume the air. Within minutes
you're enveloped in a rosy cocoon.  Chances are, you'll forget to look out your window.

Gather your favorite gardening books and turn your thoughts to springtime. 
Make a list of plants you want to add to your garden: cone flowers, hydrangeas, bee balm, roses, lilacs.



Change your world view.
  A sunny attitude is contagious. As Valentine's Day approaches, pretend the world is heart-shaped.


A basket of herbs infuses the air with fresh fragrance and hope.

 Green tea has anti-oxidant properties and is a natural appetite suppressant. But any comforting beverage will work, such as coffee, hot chocolate, espresso.

Rainy days can be grim. Whimsical (or much-loved) objects create instant comfort.
I am a third generation frog collector, and I can't be sad when a frog or two sits on my table. 
Shop your house for objects that make you laugh.


Layered white tableware is preferable to layered clothing (and trudging outside to plug goat holes). White is symbolic of fresh starts and bright summer days.


Suggestions for a Rainy Day Comfort-Scape
Include elements that appeal to the five senses:



Touch: an afghan or plaid wool throw
Smell: Aromatic herbs and scented candles
Visual: white dishes and whimsical objects

Sound: A Billie Holiday CD
Taste: strawberry muffins, croissants, berries, honey, hot tea








Do you have a rainy day ritual?
What would you include in a comfort-scape?

Thanks for stopping by Rattlebridge. If you would like to join the linky party, click on the blue Inlinkz frog.
If you need more instructions, check the sidebar and click on the Foodie Friday logo. 
Have a great weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment