Monday, April 1, 2013

BBQ-Cornbread Casserole





When I'm working on a novel, it's hard to be a serious cook.
It's even harder to blog about food.  I knew I was in trouble when I stopped using cake mixes and began hacking up store-bought desserts.
What to do.
I don't want my family to east fast food.
Yet I have limited kitchen time. Luckily, my eldest son, Trey, is a professional chef, trained in Charleston, South Carolina, and he gave me a new recipe.
 
If you have leftover cornbread and roast, AND if
you like BBQ concoctions,
this recipe is for you. It takes minutes to prepare (or you can prepare it ahead of time and refrigerate).

Chef Trey's BBQ Cornbread Casserole
 
What You Need:
leftover cornbread
leftover pork (or beef) 
bottled BBQ sauce or homemade
chopped green onions
shredded cheese
cole slaw

First, pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Now, cube the leftover cornbread and place it in the bottom of a lightly greased (PAM is fine) baking dish. Next, shred the leftover pork or beef.


Put the meat in a bowl and add BBQ sauce.
Place meat over the cornbread.

Add more BBQ sauce, 1 tablespoon at a time.
This will prevent the casserole from being too dry.


Top the meat with shredded cheese.
My younger son wasn't sure if he would like cheese and BBQ, so I only sprinkled half of the casserole with shredded mozzarella.




 Bake the casserole for 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the cole slaw.

Simple Lo-Cal Slaw
1 bag cole slaw mix
Duke's mayo (fat free)
chopped onions, celery, peppers, garlic
green onions
white wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste 

 Remove casserole from oven.
Oh, Bandy, you'll be sorry about that cheese.
 Sprinkle the top with chopped green onions. 
Add more sauce, if you like. 
(I think Elvis would have approved of this recipe.)
 
I put a dollop of slaw on top and garnished with more onions and sauce,
but I'm decadent that way.

Chef Trey makes a vinegary Carolina sauce. He  serves this dish with homemade hushpuppies.

Thanks, Trey!











Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment