Saturday, March 8, 2014

Cedar-Planked Pistachio Crusted Salmon

 I may be a foodie, but I can be picky. For example, I shy away from cumin (it smells like dirty feet), even though it seems to prevent Alzheimer's (so says Dr. Will). Despite my love for pizza, many cheeses send me running out of the kitchen. Parmesan and Blue cheese make me queasy. Also, I'm not a fan of salmon or any kind of fish.
 
 However, I changed my mind about the latter when I discovered the alchemy of Cedar-Planked Salmon.

Last night, I positively swooned when my fork sank into pistachio crusted salmon. The flavors are delicate and perfectly balanced. If I could set this recipe to music, I'd choose "Flower Duet," from Léo Delibes' opera, Lakmé. Best of all, this recipe is crazy-easy to make, not to mention low calorie/low-carb. 
 
Adapted from a recipe by Robert Irvine. View his recipe HERE.
 
Cedar-Planked Pistachio Crusted Salmon
 
9 oz. salmon fillets
cedar planks
charcoal or gas grill
4 tablespoons stone ground mustard
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup pistachios, shelled and chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
 
Start the grill. Soak the cedar planks in warm water for one hour.
 
Whisk mustard and lemon juice. Spread over the fillet and marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Drain the cedar planks and place on the grill until the wood begins to smoke.
Place salmon on the planks and cook 15 minutes. Add pistachios and grill five minutes.
Remove salmon from planks. Garnish with lemon and parsley.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment