Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pub Sandwich with Irish Whiskey Slaw

 
St. Patrick's Day is almost here, and I am in an Irish state of mind. Candy shamrocks are all over the counters, and the air smells poignantly of whiskey and Irish cream.
For lunch, I put together a hearty corned beef sandwich. I'd cooked a brisket the night before, but
only a scrap remained. I sent Bandy to the grocery for deli corned beef.
 
I wasn't in the mood for a Reuben, so my thoughts turned to slaw. The Irish version is creamy, almost like a soup. I made a small serving, perfect for two sandwiches (with a bit leftover). At the last minute, I added a little Jamison's Whiskey.
 
Oh, my.
My, my, my.
 Each bite will take you to Ireland.
 
As my brother would say, "Now this is what I'm talking about." 
 

 
Pub Sandwich with Irish Whiskey Slaw
 
Bakery bread, unsliced
Boar's Head Corned Beef, sliced
Swiss Cheese, sliced
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
3 Tablespoons mayonnaise (I used Duke's light)
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon Irish whiskey (I used Jameson's)
1 chopped scallion
salt and pepper to taste
Tabasco, 3 drops
Stone ground mustard
 
To make the slaw, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, honey, whiskey, scallion, salt and pepper, and Tabasco. If you're from Louisiana, it's a state law that you must use Tabasco every chance you get. That is all.
 
 
Slice the bread into thick hunks. Spread each slice with stone ground mustard. On one slice of bread, add 1 or more slices of Swiss cheese. Microwave for 10 seconds and remove. Place corned beef on top of the cheese.
Spoon the coleslaw on top of the beef.  Top the sandwich with bread.
Enjoy!
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment