Monday, August 26, 2013

Russian Sage



 My husband looked up from the garden and yelled, "Oh, no! Dear!"
"Yes?" I called.
"No, not you," he said. "I meant the four-legged variety."
Oh, deer.
The critters had ransacked Will's garden.
 
The oak leaf hydrangeas had taken a hit also.
Bandwidth and I pulled the remains out of the ground and replanted them at Bald Hill,
a mostly deer-less place.
 
 
My mother said, "Buy Russian Sage. The deer won't eat it...usually."
Perovskia atriplicifolia is noted for its deer resistant and drought-tolerant qualities.
It likes sun and can grow 48-inches tall and 30-inches wide.
 
I've spotted large and small pots for sale at Home Depot and Lowe's.


 
 
Russian sage is lovely when paired with Black-eyed Susans,
but it remains to be seen if the deer will nose through the sage and take
small yellow bites out of the landscape.
 




If it thrives (and I've been told it's hardy and forgiving), look what can happen: a dream hedge.



The best dreams start small . . .



 
 

  
... and grow into bigger dreams.
 
 Upcoming: Additions to the Path Garden:
 

 
 
 A Metamorphosis Monday  contribution.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment