Thursday, August 15, 2013

Foodie Friday


Thank goodness for summer comfort food.
Nothing calms the soul like a smoked barbecue sandwich, topped with
homemade slaw. Right?
 


This week, I've been busy writing and troubleshooting at the farm and at the
renovation site.
 A miscommunication with the oven hood taught me a lot. I am a writer by profession, not a designer, and I see the difficulties of trying to plan a complicated space without the help of a kitchen designer.
 
 

 
Lovely workmanship, though. I hope I can repurpose them.

 
I was filled with regret. If only I hadn't kept the old cabinets. Had I really saved money for realsies? Wouldn't it have been better to start from scratch?
Too late now.
 
Down came the columns and up went corbels.
 Not sure this works, either.
The upper cabinet on the far right will be reworked, so it won't have
a super high "fivehead."
 
 
 
Everything will be painted white.
Maybe it will look better then.
 
 
I never expected so much trim.
It grew by the day.
The trim that ate New Jersey!
 
Everyone says it will look different when the cabinet doors
are installed.
 
 
Here's my inspiration picture that I found on Houzz.
It prompted me to blow out the ceiling and add a large window,
two things that were done beautifully and without blowing the budget.
 
This photo is taped to the kitchen window for the subs. They're trying hard, and
their work is pretty...the problem is me. I don't have a clear plan.
 

The photo was a jumping off point, not something to replicate to the letter.
We had less space and needed a smaller window. A second tier of cabinets (upper)
would have meant ripping out the old cabinets. And the existing cabinets
were in great shape. Also, in a previous kitchen, I had double decker upper cabinets and never used the ones on top. They were just too high!
 
My kitchen has so much trim, I nixed the clock, thinking it would be too busy.
Also, I was trying to be practical: if the clock's battery died, and it eventually would, my sweet husband isn't in shape to climb on a ladder.
 
I can be messy when I'm cooking--lots of splatters--so I didn't add a spice cabinet next to the range.
I put my spice racks in pull out drawers (lower cabinets).
 
I kept the old island, too, and extended it at one end to include seating. I also added a prep sink.
 
 
On a positive note, two walls were blown out, and this made the kitchen seem bigger, though
the original footprint stayed the same.
 
 


 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
A non-weight bearing wall made the kitchen seem smaller.

Gone, baby, gone.






 
 
 Okay, enough about design.
Let's eat some comfort food!
 
 
If you are participating in Foodie Friday,
please take a moment to read the guidelines.
To participate in Foodie Friday, locate the blue Inlinkz icon and follow the directions. The red "x"
will allow you to delete your link if you made an error; the "x" is visible to you only.

For a complete guide to this linky party, click HERE. If you have still have questions, click HERE
for a detailed Foodie Friday tutorial.

** By adding your link to Foodie Friday, you are granting us permission to include a photo of your FF recipe in a feature story.

** Would you like to add your recipes to the "Consuming Passions" group board at Pinterest?
It can be found HERE. We're a small, sociable group; Foodie Friday folks are always welcome to "pin" with us and chat about food. Just leave a comment on one of my recent"pins," so I'll be sure to see it, and I will send you an invitation. Or you can email me.

**I would like to ask pretty please if Pinners will visit the host blogs to pin photographs.

 Thanks for visiting us today!
Now tell us all about your recipe.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment