Saturday, October 12, 2013

Renovation Diary

 It's been a while since I've given a renovation update.

We're ready for fall.



The 8 foot doors have arrived.
I decided not to paint them black.


 
 Still love the "melon shaped" crystal knobs. 
 
This style is pretty, too.
 
 
Switching gears...
here's the inspiration photo for the kitchen. We've decided to try a clock and see how it looks in my kitchen.
I found a 22" distressed white clock at Amazon.
(Note: the white-white paint is only the primer. More later.)

 
The carpenter built a rough prototype, but we decided to leave off the intricate trim, as the clock idea might have to be scrapped. (Along with the corbels.)
 
The white clock is 22" in diameter.
My contractor, Mike, suggested that we find a smaller clock.

 A black clock probably won't work in my kitchen, as I don't have a black hood or range, and the eye would go straight to the black clock. However, I couldn't find a smaller white clock.
As Mike said, if we find the right clock, we can always paint it.
 
The carpenter is building another prototype for this clock. It's 20 1/2" high x 26" wide.
 
 
 The clock's housing is being built, and I'll have an update next week.


Meanwhile, I need to choose a finish for the kitchen cabinets.
BM Simply White is the color.
Must decide on semi gloss or satin.

Honestly, they look the same.
But the semi gloss has a slicker finish than the satin. It seems like it would be easy to wipe clean; but it reflects the light a bit more. That said, my kitchen can be a sizzling place, full of spatters. Just the other day, I had a doozy of a time removing dried pancake batter from a lower cabinet door.
 
 
Though I loved SW's Creamy, the color lives up to its name in real life. For the kitchen, I selected BM's Simply White because it doesn't have overpowering undertones. The colors in this room will be on the cool side.
 
Bandwidth held up a cabinet door against the white primer, and we were relieved
that the painted door wasn't stark white, but creamy (no yellow undertones).

The door on the left (below) is semi-gloss.

 
Satin is just a little more subdued. Bandwidth thought it was creamier.
Semi-gloss might reflect light in photographs...but this will be a working kitchen, only photographed for my blog.
 
 
If you've painted kitchen cabinets,
which finish did you choose?
Satin or semi-gloss?
 
 
 
Update on Zap: He's doing fine! His blood glucose is more stable than it has been in a week. He's holding down his food (special diabetic diet) and even took a walk with me yesterday.
 
Thank you SO MUCH for your kind comments and well wishes. xxoo

Pin It

Social Bookmarking

No comments:

Post a Comment