Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Southern Apple Crumble

 Welcome to Apple Week,
presented by The Novel Bakers.
 
I'm not a fancy cook.
 
In the kitchen, I'm speedy and shameless.
Rolling all over the place and making a mess.
 
When it comes to fruit desserts,
I rely on store-bought pie fillings and crusts.
 
I actually like those items.
I don't want to peel apples for 500 hours when I could be goofing off.
 
 


But Apple Week nudged me out of my comfort zone, straight into the heart of comfort food.
 
I baked a Southern Apple Crumble, the kind that my grandmother used to make in a cast iron skillet. And, because I didn't want the fruit to be the same size or consistency, or even the same variety, I needed to control the apples.
That wasn't going to happen with store-bought pie filling or canned apples.
 
I needed to bake my crumble from scratch,
a word that strikes fear into the lazy cook's heart.
 
But it was worth it.



This one-pot dessert is a country cousin to stately, lattice-topped pies.

 
It's not a debutante.
It won't win a beauty pageant, either. But it's delicious and soul-satisfying, the perfect
dessert on a chilly October evening.
 It travels well to picnics and potlucks, too.
 
 
Best of all, it's easy.

 
You don't have to peel the apples.


 
Layered textures are the hallmark of this dish.
Creamy, chunky, and crunchy.


 
Are you ready for a taste of autumn?

 
Southern Apple Crumble
 
Serves 4
 
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 vanilla pod (split in half and remove seeds)
3 Granny Smith apples, cored (peeling is optional)
3 Honeycrisp apples, cored (peeling is optional)
4 teaspoons dried cranberries
1 or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 lemon, zested
juice of 1/2 lemon
 
 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
Grate 1/2 of the Granny Smiths and Honeycrisps.
Chop the remaining apples into bite-sized chunks and toss in lemon juice.
In a heavy, 3 quart baking dish, add sugars. Caramelize over a medium
flame, 4 to 7 minutes. Add vanilla seeds, cinnamon, and apples (including lemon juice).
Cook for 5 minutes. Add lemon zest and cranberries. Stir.
Remove pan from the burner.
 
Topping
3 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, cut into small chunks
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup granola
 
Into a large bowl, add sugar, butter, flour, and cinnamon.
Blend with a pastry cutter. Stir in the granola.  Spoon the topping over the apple mixture, then place the mixture on the stove. Heat until the apples bubble. Pop the dish into the oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until the topping is brown.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

 


 
How about a dollop of whipped cream?
Yes, please. A big dollop.

 


 

 
Apple Week Recipes:
 



Apple Week continues today with fellow bakers Mary, Jain, and Pam.
I can't wait to see what these talented ladies have prepared.
 
 Jain   a quiet life,

 
 
Thanks for stopping by.

Resources:
 

 

Update: I turned 60 today. When I read my email this morning, I saw that Jain, the organizer of The Novel Bakers, had brought my friends together for a surprise birthday party. I slept a bit late this morning and didn't have a clue until I saw the comments on this post. I'm bowled over! Hope you'll celebrate with the girls. Come along and see what they're up to:
 
home is where the boat is
rattlebridge farm
...a quiet life...
sidewalk shoes
debbie
jackie
jenna
kitty
  linda
lynn
patti
rett
sam
sarah
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch 
 
Shared at Metamorphosis Monday. 
 
Pin It

Social Bookmarking

No comments:

Post a Comment