Tuesday, October 8, 2013

When the Bough Breaks

Back in April, I had no idea that our beautiful pear tree was riddled with cracks. 
 
 
And sickness was spreading through the lush ornamental plum (below, left).
 

 
Rattlebridge Farm has trees aplenty.
But the pear and plum gave the house a homey look, shielding it from the road.

 

Ornamental pears are infamous for splitting, and ours was a bit close to the house. Several people told us that a huge fissure that ran through the main trunk. The boughs were hanging by twigs.
 
"It's gotta come down, that tree," one man said, slapping his hands together. "It'll fall on your house. Kerplunk! Take out half the roof."


I wasn't ready to lose that tree. Not yet. But I didn't want to lose the roof, either.
 
We cut off a few limbs, hoping to lighten the load.

 
The tree continued to crack.
It had to come down.
 
Around this time, I received bad news about the ornamental plum. It had some type of tree disease.
 
Both were cut down today.

 



I don't miss the plum. In fact, the house looks much tidier without it.
The pear will be sorely missed.
 
 


 
Before

After

What will I plant?
My mother had a solution.
"I know you want another tree," she said, "But you oughta plant grass."
 
"Grass?" I glanced at the wide, empty space.
 
"You've got a  lot going on," she said. "Grass will allow the eye to rest."

Some things are here for a while and pass away. They can't be replaced.
 
I hope the grass is green and restful, wherever you are.




Pin It

Social Bookmarking

No comments:

Post a Comment