Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Shipping News

The door is open. Come on in and let's talk about shiplap.

When it comes to trends, I'm always behind the curve. In fact, I miss most of them. But I've always adored planking, beadboard, and shiplap. Years ago, when we renovated a 100-year old Four Square, we found shiplap behind the drywall. And one of the bedrooms had wide, vertical planks on the walls. I still think about that sunny, happy room and hope the new owners enjoy it.


Planking and shiplap have been on my mind ever since we began remodeling the 90s Georgian. The two-story foyer walls were covered with wallpaper. After looking into several options, I opted for faux beadboard sheets in the foyer and loved the results.


I'd hoped to plank the guest room walls. Maybe this little white box could somehow acquire a touch of (faux) history. 



On Houzz, (when I'm not on Pinterest, I'm searching at Houzz), I found a charming home with just the right amount of shiplap. Alix Bragg designed this warm, inviting foyer.

For the paint color, she chose Benjamin Moore's Cloud White, which looks much warmer in the Carolina afternoon light.


A peek at the kitchen.



I've seen photos of this hallway everywhere. In fact, I've got it pinned. It seems to be a new
home, since no art hangs on the walls and no rug is underfoot. A lovely antique mood is created by simple (nothing froo froo here) architectural details. I'm betting that the hall is breathtaking in person.


Here's another coastal room where horizontal planks add character and detail in an all-white room.


The planked walls in this dining room haven't been painted, and they are as warm and alluring as butter melting on a biscuit.


The shiplap doesn't get out of hand. The white trim and ceiling keep everything calm and balanced.



A winning combination: Blue-gray beadboard on the kitchen ceiling and shiplap on the island.
s

This kitchen uses shiplap as a backsplash rather than tile--a marvelous idea.


This photo reminds me of the old bedroom in our Four Square. Here, the shiplap is used as wainscoting. Just enough.


I could stay a while in this lovely planked room.

When used judiciously, shiplap is a clever way to add character to a new home. It lends a certain patina and coziness. And, unlike wallpaper, you don't have to peel it away. For me, shiplap just takes me back to the old Four Square, to that sunny bedroom. So if it becomes a tired old fad, that's quite all right. It can come sit by me.




No comments:

Post a Comment