Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Lavender Week--Day 3: The Novel Bakers


The Novel Bakers Present
Lavender Week -- Day 3
 
Rattlebridge Farm is far from the sea, but that doesn't prevent us from enjoying crab cakes.
 
However, I've never made them with lavender.
 
And, because I live with lavender-wary men, I was shaking in my boots when I found this recipe. Crab meat is rather pricey, and if the recipe failed, my family would be disappointed--and hungry.
 
After much dithering, I substituted lavender honey for lavender buds.
 
How did the cakes turn out?

Ambrosial.
The crust was deliciously savory and slightly crunchy. I sighed
a little when I forked up the flaky white cake.
The lavender honey added a subtle sweetness,
which was balanced by the red peppers and Tabasco.
 

 
A little war broke out over the last crab cake.
 
 
 
 

 



Northwest Lavender Crab Cakes
 
                                       6 to 8 Servings
 
1/4 cup minced celery
1/4 cup minced green onion
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 large egg
1 tablespoon dry mustard (I used Dijon)
2 teaspoons "Provence" lavender buds, finely ground (I omitted this)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper (or red pepper flakes)
1 pound fresh (I used canned) crab meat
2 3/4 cups panko
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
lemon wedges (garnish)
chopped fresh Italian parsley (garnish)
 
My Additions:
1 tablespoon lavender honey
flour (for dredging)
A few sprinkles of Tabasco
cream sherry
fresh lemon juice
additional butter and EVOO
Old Bay Seasoning (a sprinkling on each side of the cakes--the sides, too.)
 
 
The crab recipe includes a creamy honey sauce, which sounds fantastic,
but my husband requested a different sauce (Tartar), so
I added lavender honey and cream sherry to the crab mixture.
I used white crab meat (canned). I also added
finely chopped Italian parsley to the mixture.
 
Sautee the onions and celery in butter and oil. Set aside.
Drain crabmeat and place in a large bowl. Add mayonnaise, egg, mustard, salt, pepper, lavender,
and lemon juice. Add sautéed vegetables. Mix well and form mixture into cakes.
 
Find 2 bowls. Add flour in one bowl and panko bread crumbs in the other. Dip a pattie
in flour, then in panko. Sprinkle each side with Old Bay and lemon thyme salt. Repeat this
procedure until all cakes have been coated.
Over a medium flame, melt butter in a large frying pan. Add olive oil.
Add the cakes and fry gently, flipping them as necessary (but carefully).
Remove to platter. Squeeze 1/4 lemon over the cakes (optional).
 



You can find lavender honey in specialty stores or online.


Would you like to see a luscious, profusion of lavender?
Please click on the links (see below)
and view all of The Novel Bakers' lavender posts:
 
 
 
 
 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment