Sunday, July 28, 2013

Lavender Week: Day 7


The last seven days of my life have been sweetly colored with lavender.
 
Thanks to the Novel Bakers,
I've felt brave enough to dip my culinary finger in purple.
 
 
When I tested recipes, rain and cloudy skies kept me indoors much of the time,
but I was surrounded by the calming aroma of lavender. However,
I've got to admit: I wasn't sure about eating calmness. My family
was even more dubious.
 
Look at Will, rushing away from the lavender lady.
 
 
As the days sped by, my kitchen sink filled with measuring spoons and
bowls. A delicate aroma spiced the air. Soon, my family came to love this remarkable, versatile herb.
If you are a lavender virgin, or live with one, I've got the perfect "jumping-off"
recipe: Grilled Lavender Honey Breast of Chicken.
 

 
What You Need:
3/4 cup white wine (or lavender) vinegar
1/4 cup grated lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lavender honey (or honey)
1 tablespoon dried organic lavender buds, finely ground
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 tablespoon cracked black pepper
8 boneless chicken breast halves with skin
 
To make the marinade, mix all ingredients (except chicken). I added extra honey because my Dear Honey was standing over my shoulder and he said, "The marinade tastes bitter! Do you know what you're doing?"
 
The answer was, "Dear Honey Cakes, stuff it."
 
But he wouldn't go away so I added the honey.
 
Back to the recipe:
Place chicken breasts in a dish and add marinade Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Prepare your grill. Remove chicken from the marinade. Place breasts on the rack, skin side down. Naturally I couldn't find skinless and boneless breasts--in my part of the
South, one cannot have both, apparently.
Cook until chicken is done--prick the breasts with the tip of a knife, and if the
juices are clear, your chicken is done. Don't forget to baste.
(I forgot.)
 
It's wise to NOT talk on the phone while grilling
or your chicken might incinerate.
It goes without saying to discard the leftover marinade.
 

 
 
 By the end of the week, my family was ready for a bit more purple.
They wanted something sweet and cold.
I wanted something easy.
 
 No-Cook Lavender Vanilla Ice Cream
 1 pint heavy cream
1 pint half-and-half
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground lavender buds
food coloring, if desired
Whisk ingredients and pour into an electric ice cream maker.
 
It took forever and ever for the mixture to solidify,
but it was worth it.
 



Come on, try just one little spoonful.
 
 
It's been a delicious week.
I always cook on a wing and a prayer,
but when you add lavender to a recipe,
you are calling down the angels.




 
 
Resources for Essential Oils:
 
You will find a plethora of information and resources
in the index of Sharon Shipley's The Lavender Cookbook.



I've had fun playing with Mary (Home Is Where the Boat Is), Mari (Once Upon a Plate), Jain (A Quiet Life), and special guest baker Pam (Sidewalk Shoes). If you click on the
links (below), you can see all of their posts from Lavender Week.





You can check out the Novel Bakers' earlier culinary visits to Italy, France, and Ireland
HERE. You'll find links to recipes and gorgeousness by Mary, Jain, and Mari.
 
/
The Novel Bakers will return in late August
with their 3rd adventure. More food and fun!
 
A Metamorphosis Monday  contribution.


Pin It

Social Bookmarking

No comments:

Post a Comment