Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Novel Bakers Present Lavender Week: Day 2

 
The Novel Bakers have been cooking all summer to bring you seven days
of lavender-themed recipes, tablescapes, gardens, and more.
 

I can't wait to see what the girls have been up to:
 

During yesterday's introduction, I talked about being a lavender virgin. Before I
read The Lavender Cookbook  by the late Sharon Shipley, I'd never worked with this herb.
 
 
To me, lavender evoked memories of the perfume factories in Grasse, France.
I remember how I wandered through the stores, moving through great drifts of fragrance. 
I bought gifts for my family, tucking soap and bath salts into my luggage. When I got home and unzipped my suitcase, the lush, purple fields of Provence tumbled out.
 
The whole time I was in France, I didn't buy a single bag of culinary lavender,
mainly because I wanted to wear the fragrance, not chew it.
 
Now, I'm mesmerized by this whimsical herb.
 
However, my family needs a bit of prodding.
I modified our favorite granola recipe to include lavender.
 
 
Lavender Granola
What You Need:
1 large baking pan (I used a disposable turkey pan)
4 c. old fashioned oats
1 c. chopped pecans
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 T. organic flax seed
1 T. wheat germ
 
Add your favorite goodies:
raisins
chopped dates
dried cranberries
dried cherries
dried raspberries
blueberries
coconut flakes
breakfast trail mixes
 
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Place dry ingredients into the pan and mix.
 
Add:
1/2 cup lavender honey
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 to 1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon culinary lavender
 
Mix and pour over dry ingredients.
Blend well.
 
Place pan in oven and bake 15 minutes. Stir.
Bake 15 more minutes Stir. Continue baking in 5 minute increments or
until granola is brown. Watch it carefully!
Remove from oven and cool.
 
Lavender adds a layer of magic to this recipe.
It's delicious by itself, with milk, or sprinkled over ice cream.
 
This granola can be incorporated into a key lime or lemon pie crust. Just add graham cracker crumbs and pulverize in a food processor. But you'll probably want to eat this cereal with a spoon.
It's a good thing that it's healthy--because it's addictive.


 

 

 



I hope you're enjoying our herbal adventures
Thanks for visiting!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment