Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Lavender Week: The Novel Bakers

 Lavender Week
Presented by The Novel Bakers
 
 
 

My mother doesn't grow lavender, but she loves the color purple.
She wears purple eyeglasses, clothing, and sweaters.
Her wedding china was strewn with dainty violets. In the 1960s, she
added purple Fostoria goblets.
 
"Look around a garden, and you'll see purple," she always says.
This is true.
 
Mother Nature loves purple.
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
When I was planning lavender week, I went straight to my stash of Portmeirion, pulling together the purple Sophie Conran and exotic Botanic Garden dishes.  Sophie is a British food
writer and baker, and she understands the art and function of the table.



The Rosanna Parisian glasses were topped with organdy "bug" hats--always
a good idea at a humid picnic. (They're actually wedding favor thingies.)
I bought mine HERE.

The floral tablecloth is by ShalinIndia.
 
 
 

If you've been following lavender week, then you know about the
"lavender virgins" in my household--two burly guys who keep raising
their eyebrows when they see me holding a fragrant tin.
Picky eaters have always interested me, because I eat everything.
 
I like a culinary challenge.
 
What about a cake?
 
Sanding sugar  and sprinkles are irresistible and provide camouflage for ground up lavender.
 


It was just too muggy to have an outdoor dessert party,
so we headed inside.





Lilac flatware and sweet lavender plates were added to the dessert table.


 

 
 
 
A recap of the first three days of Lavender Week
and a hint of things to come.
 
 
Monday
 
Lavender Garden
 
Baby  Spinach/Peach/Berry salad with a lavender vinaigrette.


Tuesday
Lavender Granola



Wednesday
Lavender Honey Crab Cakes


 




Would you like to see a stunning profusion of lavender?
Please click on the links (see below)
and view all of The Novel Bakers' beautiful lavender posts:

A Tablescape Thursday  contribution.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment