Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Renovation Diary: Kitchen Lanterns

 
The lanterns arrived!
My contractor put them up (temporarily) to see if they were keepers. Looks like they are!
 
 
Here's a side view. The island will get a deeper counter.
The cabinets will be trimmed with moulding, making them seem taller and more substantial.
 
 
 
Remember my inspiration photo?
 
 
I enjoy using inspiration photos as guides, but I also have to stay within my budget and be honest with my needs.  
My kitchen won't have double-decker cabinets or an antique table for an island. I seriously love the idea--and I wanted to remove the island and replace it with my old farm table. But I had to be realistic. When I'm cooking, several projects are going on at the same time. I need counter space, not to mention storage. The present island offers both. Double-decker cabinets will look pretty, but I'd never use them, and it would be expensive to have them made and installed.
 
 
I still don't know what to do about the wall beside the refrigerator.
Now that the ceiling has been blown away, the wall doesn't seem to fit the space. Now, it's a dust catcher. I hate to keep chipping away at this kitchen, but I really think the wall needs to be removed or modified in some way.
What do you think? Any suggestions?

 
I'll return with an update.
This week, dry wall is going up in the kitchen:
 
Fingers crossed that the front door and accent window will be installed. I'm trying a lighter paint color in the powder room (just a swatch); the pedestal sink will be removed (hope it doesn't break so I can repurpose it!), and the little Restoration Hardware vanity will be installed. 
Thanks for keeping me company during this renovation!
 




Pin It
 
Social Bookmarking

No comments:

Post a Comment