Saturday, February 16, 2013

Renovation Diary: Quick Bathroom Update


The remodeling stopped for two weeks, so I've had very little to report.  My general contractor participated in a local building Expo, but his assistant tells me that next week promises to be exciting. The new front doors have arrived, along with the accent window. The kitchen lanterns will be hung, too (I'm a little worried about them; the ceiling outlets appear to be too close together, but I've been assured that it's an optical illusion. That said, I wouldn't be me if I wasn't worried about something).
 
Despite the slow-down,
we managed to paint the master bath vanity.





Here's a quick recap of the progress:
Photo 1, far left: We began with yellow walls and speckled granite counters that enhanced the orange tones in the tile floor.

Photo 2, center: The walls were painted SW's Macadamia. Restoration Hardware sconces and a mirror were hung.

Photo 3, far right: I'm still in a flux about the paint, so we tried SW's Thatch Brown on one vanity. It's almost right. But the good news is, we're seeing brown tones in the tile floor. No orange! Yay!


In person, the vanity (SW Thatch Brown) is a bit light. I'm trying to decide if I should glaze over it (you can see a large example of this color below) ...


SW Thatch Brown

 
... or if I should paint the cabinets a shade darker, 
SW Umber (see below):


It's frustrating when a project moves this slowly. I'd hoped to have an "after" photo of SOMETHING to show you by now. 
All I have is a "before" and a "midpoint." 

My bathroom won't look like a Restoration Hardware bath (below), but the photo has surely inspired me. I'm looking for new knobs, possibly pulls, which will mean drilling new holes into the drawers, but it's worth a shot! A much bigger window on the right side would balance the room...but I'd need a couple of estimates before I went ahead with this extreme idea.
 
Still don't know if the speckled counters will stay or go.
What do you think? 
Would white marble (or a cream granite) look better?

 

Someone mentioned painting the cabinets black:
 
 
Hope you're having a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment