Monday, May 13, 2013

Master Bath Update: Black or Cream Counters


 If you've renovated a home, then you may keep score on certain rooms. Some spaces are
hard to decorate--the minuses might outweigh the plus signs. When that score dips into negative
numbers, it might be a signal to take another path.

Our master bath is one of those rooms. It began well enough. My goal was a quasi-Renovation Hardware style.

 
 
 I painted the walls, bought sconces and mirrors, and hired painters to work on the vanities.
 
 
Nice paint job. Wrong color.

So we've decided to order cabinets. Mike has measured, and two vanities will fit, though
we'll have to do some fancy footwork, as one vanity has a double sink. This will involve
moving the mirrors. The good news is, we have an extra.
 
I have a sample of the weathered gray finish, and it works with the mirrors and sconces.

However, Dr. Will has instructed me to find a chandelier. I'm looking for one that has a rusty
finish. I think this is a Savoy House fixture. It's blingy, but ... suffice it to say that I'm still looking.
The orb chandelier that's shown in the RH images is a bit pricey for me and not blingy enough for Will.
 

 
 
Most of the vanities are available in natural wood, grayish wood, black, etc.
They come with and without counter tops.

We could order black vanities, but then I'd have to paint the mirrors and faux paint the sconces.
RH shows a black vanity with the metal sconces. A pretty look, to be sure, but it's not the look for me.

So I'm sticking with the weathered gray, reclaimed wood.
I just need to decide about the counters.
 
This is the original inspiration photo. The vanity is cream marble.



 In the above photo, I don't see any black accents. So the neutral colors work, and the overall imagery is sustained.

Our bathroom floor has black tile inserts.

So, I must decide if I want RH cream marble counter tops or if I want to order the base cabinets and select my own granite/marble. In that case, I would get black granite.

Here's the Italian marble (different, more rustic vanity):
 




And black granite.


Another look at the inspiration picture.

 
 
Which would you choose?
 
A. Order the vanities and cream marble counters from RH.
B. Order the vanities and find your own black granite counters.
 
Thanks for following me along on this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment