Thursday, May 30, 2013

Foodie Friday -- May 31, 2013

It's time for another Foodie Friday, where great food is always on the menu.
My husband had major dental surgery today, and I'm running a little behind.
It's been one of those weeks. First, Bandy and I discovered a problem with the kitchen design (the oven/microwave/warming drawer wall didn't have a "landing pad" for hot food, which
meant we would be traveling to the island with scorching pans). Bandy, my contractor, and I
came up with a solution after we looked at inspiration photos on Houzz--we could add
a counter/butler's pantry near the ovens.  



 However, I'm losing a small pantry and will need to find a creative, space-saving
way to store staples.
 
Next, we solved design problems with the fireplace and master bath. That bath
is giving me gray hairs! Tonight, as I mentioned, I'm taking good care of
Dr. Will.
 
 
Last weekend, I was stuck on a book project, so I cooked and cooked and cooked.
And then I cooked a bit more. I ruined the potato salad, which is extremely hard to do,
but the experiment with Boston Baked beans was a success. Too bad I didn't write down the recipe. I "eyeballed" everything and tinkered relentlessly.

For me, cooking is all about love, sustenance, and stress relief. Like my mother
says, cooking is also a blessing and a privilege.
 

You can find recipes for healthy dog treats HERE.
 
 
 
 I was inspired to make fruit pies by a quiet life's gorgeous triple berry threat. These little pies are works of art, filled with sweet, healthy berries and adorned with darling pastry garnishes. They are a must see (you'll love her whole blog). The filling is a mixture of fresh strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries, with a bit of cornstarch, sugar, and lemon juice. You can use store-bought (refrigerated) pie crust dough or make your own.
I doubled Jain's RECIPE. But, I was so excited about cooking (and eating),  and I  had not bought extra Pillsbury pie crusts. So I used the leftover fruit mixture to make a mascarpone-filled cake. Bandy called it the "ugly dessert," and it did look odd...but the ambrosial flavor made him eat his words. It was delicious. Between the hand pies and the mascarpone dessert, I must have gained five pounds.


This isn't a true recipe. I didn't want to go to the grocery, so I gathered items from my pantry and fridge. I used a streusel mix and baked it 15 minutes. Next, I added a mascarpone layer: 1/2 cup mascarpone, 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, 3 tablespoons white sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well and spread over the cake. Bake until filling has "set," about 20 minutes. Add a layer of cooked berries and streusel crumbs. Continue to bake another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the filling bubbles and thickens. Be sure to place a cookie sheet beneath the cake pan (I used a tart pan) to keep your oven tidy. If you don't want to use a streusel mix, a nut or graham cracker crust would be delicious, too. Serve with whipped cream.


Foodie Friday's "Picks of the Week."




fine-looking sweet rolls. Can't you just imagine the beguiling aroma?




The Parisian adventure continues as Wives with Knives bakes Vanilla Bean Madeleines.
 


My Cozy Corner's roses and sautéed pea tendrils capture the essence
of early summer.


Nothing says "summer is here" like Pine Cones and Acorns'  homemade ice cream--you'll want to save the recipe for Trader Joe's Chocolate-Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.



Purple Chocolate Home made a beautiful bridal shower cake--it's so pretty, it
should be on the cover of a magazine!

 
 Now it's time to share our latest recipes. What did you bring to the potluck?
 
 
  
 
It would be super nice is everyone will Tweet or Pin at least three of your favorite Foodie Friday recipes. You can also give a shout-out on Facebook.

 
Thanks to all of the great cooks who participate each week. I look at each post to make sure it is working, and it is always such a treat to see what you've been cooking. I'd like to invite you to add your recipes to the "Consuming Passions" group board at Pinterest, which can be found HERE.
It is a small, private group, but Foodie Friday folks are welcome. If you'd like to "pin" with us and chat about food, just leave a comment on one of the "pins," and I will send you an invitation. Or you can email me.


To participate in Foodie Friday, locate the blue Inlinkz icon and follow the directions. The red "x"
will allow you to delete your link if you made an error; the "x" is visible to you only.

For a complete guide to this linky party, click HERE. If you have still have questions, click HERE
for a detailed Foodie Friday tutorial.

** By adding your link to Foodie Friday, you are granting us permission
to include a photo of your FF recipe (and a link to your blog post)
to be included in the "Picks of the Week" feature or on our Facebook page.

**Many bloggers add their recipes on Thursday evening. From these contributions, I will select random recipes for shout-outs on Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook 
 
I would like to ask pretty please if Pinners will "pin" photos of the "Picks" and all FF contributions from the source blogs, not from Foodie Friday. 
 
Thanks so much for visiting  today. I am always inspired by your recipes--and by you. Food blogging is more difficult than any kind because of the sheer work that goes on behind the scenes--planning, shopping, prep work, cooking, taking photographs, culling those photos, and cleaning.  I am amazed by your ideas and creativity. .
 
I hope to see you again soon! Have a great, food-filled weekend.

Love,
Mlee  & Bandy








Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment