Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Selecting Kitchen Counters: Granite or Marble


 
This afternoon, while talking about marble vs granite with my wise, 85-year old mother,
she said, "You are almost 60 years old. Get what you want."

Do I have a clue?
 
My kitchen has a similar U-shaped layout. I like the tone-on-tone, lighter look.

Above, Calacata white marble was chosen for the counters.

When I visit the stone yard, I'll take two sample cabinets--one will be BM's "Simply White" and the other will be SW's "Creamy." I'm trying to go in with a plan this time around and focus on lighter counter tops.
 
 
I've researched Madre Perla and Bianco Macaubus. Here's a photo of the latter:


This kitchen is gorgeous, but the bold lines won't work in my much-smaller space. The same issue might happen with White Diamond granite, also referred to as Bianco Antico.


Love the view and the kitchen.

"What do you want?" my mother asked.

"Marble," I whispered.

She didn't ask why I was whispering. She knew.
 
Here, we can see a lovely 2m carrera white marble counter with mitered edges.
Traditional Kitchen by Birmingham Design-build Caden Design Group


But is it the stuff of dreams? What happens when you've pulled a hot baking pan out of the oven, and the heat seeps through your mitts?

 
 
I've had granite counters and they're bulletproof. Every morning my husband opens a dozen (or more) Splenda packets and leaves them on a coffee-splattered counter, adding puddles of cream and CoffeeMate. His big hands have trouble opening the lid on a tiny coffee grinder, and grounds are spilled. But I'd much rather have a man who makes coffee...and give him bulletproof counters.
That is all.

According to my research, even lighter granite can have issues. We've all heard horror stories
about marble. To make matters confusing, stones are often mislabeled; you may think you are
buying X, but you're getting Z.  "The Lowdown on Super White" is fascinating over at Gardenweb's Kitchen Forum.


Again, my mother offered advice: "Don't you use chopping blocks and trivets?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Well, then. Do you want dark counters that don't show dirt? Or do you want to see the dirt--and clean it?"

"I want to see it."

"Go for it, Gollum!" she said.

But does Gollum want Carrara or Calacatta? And what's the difference?

 

Calacatta counter with an edge:
 

Carrara counters:

Does it come down to "perfection vs patina?"

 
Another Houzz article: Using White Marble: Hot Debate Over a Classic Beauty.

Our present bathroom has quartz counters, and while this man-made product is more expensive than granite, it will be around long after I'm gone. The "Corian-esque" stuff is truly bulletproof--and toothpaste proof. Caesarstone has just launched a series of marble-like products. But I'm still drawn to granite and marble.






It all comes down to a few things.
The stones in the stone yard.
The number of slabs.
The price.

And fairy dust.

From a cook's perspective, would you prefer something that's scratch-and-stain  proof, a mix,
or the aesthetics of natural stone?



 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment