Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Foodie Friday Plus The Novel Bakers' Christmas Goodies

Welcome to Foodie Friday.. a bit early this week.
Since Monday, I've been playing with The Novel Bakers (you'll find links at the end of this post) and Nigella Lawson, so this is my finale: a slob's speedy version of her impeccable recipes.

 
We've been eating way too many desserts at our house, but I wanted to try Nigella's
Star-Topped Mince Pies. According to her, "They are small, to be popped straight into
the mouth in one go."

Predictably, I ran into trouble. Technical trouble.
 
Between bottomless cupcake tins and too-little pie dough, I was forced to put a desperate spin on the pies. I cut the dough to fit my fire engine red ramekins--more than a mouthful, to be sure. Even so, I found myself with leftover mincemeat and dough.
What to do?


 
 
I made mincemeat hand pies, of course. My snowflake toppers look like the handles on my
kitchen faucet ...
 
... sort of old-timey, but edible.

 
I haven't seen the sun in weeks, and when it popped out, I went a little nuts and took
way too many photos.


Mincemeat Hand Pies
 
                                                 Serves: 4
 
Pillsbury Refrigerated pie dough
Mincemeat
Cookie cutters
milk wash
granulated sugar
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. (My oven smokes and carries on if I bake above 400 degrees, so
feel free to adjust the temperature and baking time). Cut dough into circles (I used a hand pie shaper from Williams Sonoma). Crimp edges with a fork. Using leftover dough, cut out decorative garnishes.
Brush garnishes and tops of the pies with milk wash, then sprinkle with sugar.
Bake 20 -25 minutes or until pies are nicely browned.



 
 Here are the mini pies. With the leftover dough, I made extra stars, which Bandy and I
scarfed down in minutes.
 



Mini-Mincemeat Pies (the Slacker's Version)
                                                       Serves 4
1 jar mincemeat
2 boxes of Pillsbury's Pie Dough (refrigerated)
Confectioners' sugar (and a dusting sieve)
3 T milk or heavy cream
granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
 
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Spray the ramekins with Pam. Roll out the dough and cut into large circles, at least 2" larger than the ramekins. Add dough and crimp edges. Spoon in the mincemeat. Shape the leftover dough into a ball, roll out, and cut into stars. Place stars on top of each mini pie. Brush the stars with milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place ramekins on a baking sheet, place in oven, and bake 15-20 minutes (or until the stars have browned). Remove from oven and cool.









 
Nigella Week ended far too soon for me, but the feast will continue with my friends Jain and Mary (you'll find the links below). I still have many recipes on my to-do list. Topping the list is Hot Schnocolate, which calls for peppermint schnapps, heavy cream candy canes, and bittersweet chocolate. Here's Nigella's version:
 
Novel Baker Mary at Home Is Where the Boat Is   made individual jars of Candy Cane Cocoa, perfect for gifts--wait until you hear where she found her darling snowflake jars.

Christmas is the season for thick, liquor-infused beverages. As my 85 year old mother says, "A wee tot of something at the end of a hard day can flat out revive you."
 
Eggnog Syllabub is on my to-do list. According to Nigella, this libation is "the holiday tradition Stateside; and you could hardly get more quintessentially English than a syllabub."
 
This tipsy version carries a comic warning: "You can certainly taste the trio of tipples (bourbon, dark rum, and brandy), but you don't feel as if you should avoid stepping near a naked flame after eating it."
 
My store-bought version was ramped up with Mr. Jack Daniels and brandy, with a dusting of chocolate.



Nigella Christmas is one of my favorite holiday cookbooks. It has many virtues, so many I can't list them. She divides the book into 9 chapters, including Stress Free Suppers, Edible Presents, A Bevy of Hot Drinks, and Dr. Lawson Prescribes (two healing soups). In between, she offers sensible advice, such as a sure-fire way to induce harmony at volatile family dinners (just invite strangers, and family outbursts might diminish or even disappear...temporarily).  She includes edible ornaments, gift wrapping ideas, and tablescapes. Your local library should have a copy of the book--or they can locate one.


 
Here's Nigella's Christmas Chutney.


 
Novel Baker Jain at a quiet life tweaked the recipe. It looks like a bottled jewel. Today, she presented Honeyed Fig Vinegar, Pomegranate-and Red Onion Relish.

I hope you've enjoyed my nearly Nigella recipes this week.
 

 
 For more Christmas cheer and a great time, please visit my dear, fellow Novel Bakers.
You'll find recipes, ideas, and gorgeous photos to "pin." Be sure to check in with
Jain and Mary on Friday: Nigella Week continues. You will be charmed!

The Novel Bakers:
 
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope everyone is warm, well-fed, happy, and healthy.
May all of your dreams come true this Christmas.
 
Love,
Mlee
 
 






Pin It

Social Bookmarking

No comments:

Post a Comment