Saturday, December 7, 2013

Renovation Diary: Kitchen Hardware

 Have you remodeled a kitchen? Then you may be a little T.K.O.
 Totally Kitchen Obsessed. The condition strikes without warning and turns a blasé homeowner into a
rabid, detail-oriented fiend. Symptoms include palpitations, second guessing, and, in severe cases, nightmares.

Choosing hardware can induce itty bitty nightmares. Just when you've made your selection, another, better option shows up, creating doubt and angst. Because when you see a beautiful kitchen,
you know it didn't put itself together. The smallest decisions are made with care.
Color, texture, contrasts, scale, mood, balance, finishes.
Kitchen by Christopher Peacock via Houzz

 


Early into our kitchen reno, I'd pretty much decided to use polished nickel hardware. In the back of my mind, I remembered a design formula:

white kitchen + black counters = dark knobs


white kitchen + light counters = light knobs
 
 
Then I remembered something: Each kitchen makes its own "rules."


 
 
So I could do what I wanted. But what did I want? What would work for my family?
I began to question the practicality of polished nickel hardware. Me, I'm a bit of a slob. And I live with messy people.
 
 Two previous spaces had been white and high maintenance. Still, I was attracted to the idea of a white kitchen. I could put the whiteness up high, away from sticky fingers.
But wouldn't the ambient white need darker hardware?
 


Yes, dark hardware seemed like a good option.
Besides, we'd already chosen dark lanterns.


For many people, TKO is a transient state of being.  There is peace on the other side of a renovation. The homeowner barely notices the style of a knob--unless it falls off.  

 I like the simple design of RH's "Aubrey." But it would cause hiccups if I put four screws into each drawer. Cabinet makers aren't crazy about the placement of Aubrey's screws, as the pull can wrench off. Many home renovators buy sturdier screws and haven't had problems. Aubrey comes in several sizes.


 
The Gilmore cup pull also has front-facing screws--but only two. Below, I've shown the 3" pull,
but it's available in larger sizes.
The "Seasons" knob intrigues me, but the guys gave it a thumb's down.
Gilmore is pretty with the Aubrey knob, too.

 
Pottery Barn's "Ivy" is whimsical. For some TKO folks, this option wouldn't work. The Ivy is totally cute, but does cuteness have a place in a traditional kitchen? How often would the curvy ends snag the cook's apron? Maybe it depends on the cook. The pull is available in one size--3"--which
is a bit snug for man-sized hands. I was less enchanted with Ivy's knob (not pictured). But this style pairs well with all of the RH knobs.


My guys like RH's Dakota. Yet it's not their number one choice.

 
Oh, boy. I must take a deep breath and sift through the choices:
I've narrowed it down to two styles. Which one do you like and why?
Thanks for stopping by on this cold, winter day. Have a great week.
I will return on Monday with the Novel Bakers.



Pin It

Social Bookmarking

No comments:

Post a Comment