Wednesday, February 22, 2012

An Irish Blessing Tablescape

For each petal on the shamrock
This brings a wish your way--
Good health, good luck, and happiness
For today and every day.
                                                                                                 ~Author Unknown

With St. Pat's Day approaching, I'm in a green state of mind. An ivory homespun tablecloth provided a blank canvas for the layered dishes and figural artichokes. On impulse, I added plaid napkins. Then I remembered the pretty iced tea glasses that a blogger friend, Jersey Girl, sent me a few years ago. I paired those glasses with vintage sherbets. 

Small artichoke plates became make-shift vases,
with green flowers and fresh sprigs of mint.
I've collected odd pieces of figural vegetables since I was a bride--some are old, some new. 
Rachael Ray's "Curly-Q" salad plates play peek-a-boo with dotted Spode.
These dishes appeared in a recent tablescape, with a green-and-lilac color scheme.


I tucked shamrocks into an old basket.
May your blessings outnumber
The shamrocks that grow,
And may trouble avoid you
Wherever you go.
                                                ~Irish Blessing



As city lights twinkled in the distance, I tucked a shamrock under my sweetheart's plate
--for luck, health, and happiness. 
For 'tis green, green, green, where the ruined towers are gray,
And it's green, green, green, all the happy night and day;
Green of leaf and green of sod, green of ivy on the wall,
And the blessed Irish shamrock with the fairest green of all.

                                                                               ~Mary Elizabeth Blake


Tablescaping Notes
Spode Baking Days dinner plates
Rachael Ray "Curly-Q" salad plates, set of 4
Cambridge Green flatware
Napkins--Traders & Co.
Chargers--Available at Amazon, $19.99

No comments:

Post a Comment