Friday, February 17, 2012

Decorating With Vegetables

I'm fond of decorating with vegetables.
When my husband brought me an orchid bouquet, I immediately put the fragrant stems into a vase with brussels sprouts. He wasn't surprised. After 33 years of marriage, he knows how I am.
 Contrasts are pleasing to my eye--playful polka-dotted plates, regal, pinkish-purple orchids, and lowly root vegetables.

I've used asparagus, new potatoes, peppers, cranberries, crab apples and celery in floral arrangments.
But today, I turned limes into small vases.

Lime Vases
4 limes
Flowers

Slice off the top of each lime. Poke stem-sized holes into the pulp. To keep your vase from rolling off the table, slice off the bottom of the lime. Add flowers.



Edible accessories are popular at Rattlebridge Farm. True, they aren't everlasting (except they do seem to stick around forever on my hips), but who can resist a petit four?
They add a sweet, beguiling touch, don't they?









When I was a little girl, my mother would stack her dishes on the sideboard. I loved the interesting edges...and I still do. It's like playing dress up, but with dishes.


For this tablescape, I paired Spode dishes with vintage white pottery and Rachael Ray salad plates.


Aren't they fun? Layers upon layers...like a ruffled ballgown.








The table is set. The sun is shining.
It's time to eat.
Chickpea Salad (from the Publix deli) is all dressed up in a nest of purple cabbage.

Won't you join me for lunch?


Light Luncheon Menu

Chickpea Salad
Pita Squares
Deviled Bacon Eggs
Sliced Tomatoes
Lemon Iced Tea
Petit fours and espresso

No comments:

Post a Comment