Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Renovation Update


 The old-new kitchen has a beadboard ceiling.

 
 

 
 

 
Now let's move outside.
Last week I was contemplating a bold change with the garage doors. After perusing some inspiration photos at Houzz,
I got the hair-brained idea to paint the doors a dark,
almost-black gray.
 
 Sherwin Williams Urbane Bronze
 
 
Many of you left comments and told me to go for it.
So I did.
 
 
Before:
 
 
 
During:
**Note: The middle door is dented**


 
A small idea becomes a big change.
 And I really like it.
 
However, another "Urbane Bronze" project was a washout.
I'd considered painting the bathroom cabinets this color;
just to be safe, I did a sample:
 
Uh-oh.
I didn't think the paint would be such a horrid clash
with the black tile inserts, but it was.
Thank goodness I tested a sample area.
 
 
We tried SW's "Creamy" on the walls, too, as the current color
is too yellow. I've used "Creamy" in the foyer/dining room
and loved it. However, it looked sterile in the bathroom:
 
 
Next, I'll try SW's Moderate White on the walls, 
a color that my friend Allison used in her home.
It's a soft, adaptable creamy beige
and looks great with the bathroom tile.
 SW's Moderate White


As an example, this room has been painted "Moderate White."


For the cabinets, I'll try a swatch of SW's "Caviar."














 Another look at the bathroom.

 
I'm already having doubts. 
Caviar might be overwhelming,
and the granite counters might get lost.
Or it could be beautiful.
That's the mystique of paint: you have to try and try again.
 
(simulated)
 
And, in my zeal to create calm, neutral spaces,
I shouldn't forget about the lovely, timeless virtues of color.
 photo courtesy of Houzz

 Photo courtesy of Houzz
 
I'll see you later with a progress report.
 

 
 
 
 

Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment