Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Farmhouse Tomato-Cucumber Salad


I spend my days writing, dog tending, cooking, gardening, and puttering around the house.
Homemaking is a joy, something that feeds my soul.  I am a not a fancy cook,
but that doesn't mean I'm not food obsessed.
I am.
  I come from a family of homebodies and self-taught cooks. Some of us are full time homemakers and others have full-time jobs, but in our souls, we're always in the kitchen. We have a tradition of photographing desserts, side dishes, and entrees. We love everything about cooking: the soothing rituals of measuring, stirring, and kneading.
Even dishwashing is fun.
Like most cooks, the women in my clan are into nurturing.
Today, when my husband asked for a low-carb/low-cal side dish, I sprang into action (cooks love special requests) and made a tomato-cucumber salad.
   
                 I love this salad.
            Not only is it delicious (and low calorie), it's versatile--perfect for a picnic or a  formal meal.

 Best of all, it takes five minutes to make.


Time-saving Tip:
When you're cooking for a crowd, the recipes can run together in your mind. To reduce the stress of preparing several side-dishes and desserts, print or write down each recipe. Assemble ingredients for each recipe and place in a box or plastic tub.  

 

 

Farmhouse Tomato-Cucumber Salad

 Print This Recipe

Simple and festive, this salad can be assembled in minutes.
What You Need:
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
4- 6 ripe tomatoes
1 hothouse cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons fresh oregano
1 tablespoon fresh basil
rice vinegar
extra virgin olive oil
First, make a vinaigrette. Add two parts olive oil to one part vinegar. Whisk. Add garlic. Salt and pepper to taste and whisk. Place onions in the bowl and stir. Peel and slice the cucumber. Slice tomatoes. Arrange cucumbers and tomatoes on a serving platter. Garnish with cherry tomatoes. Remove onions from oil/vinegar mixture and arrange over tomatoes and cucumbers. Pour vinaigrette over the vegetables. Add basil and oregano. Salt and pepper again (to taste).
Serves: 6



I'm participating in Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer
and Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style.






Pin It

Facebook Digg it Stumbleupon Twitter
Social Bookmarking

No comments:

Post a Comment