Saturday, March 10, 2012

Vanilla Extract Tutorial

A few weeks ago, I was shopping for vanilla beans--ten dollars for three itty beans. My youngest son is a biochemist, and he assurred me that we could make our own extract. We just needed beans and vodka. How simple is that?
I shopped for jars and Madagascar beans onlined; the local liquor store had good-quality vodka on sale. For under three dollars, I made my own extract.

First, make sure you sterilize your equipment, even the kitchen shears. Make sure your cutting boards are super-clean. I've been told that it's okay to run your equipment through the dishwasher, but this goes against my training as a registered nurse and as a "canner." Just saying--never take chances when it comes to making your own extract.

Cut each bean in half, leaving them attached at one end. Use a paring knife to scrape/mash the beans.

Place beans in jars and add vodka--leave 1" headspace.

Seal the jars, shake, and place in a cool, dark place.
Shake every day.

In about 3 months, I will strain the vanilla, and add a fresh bean. But now, I can't resist opening the cap and smelling the vanilla.


How to Make Vanilla Extract

What You Need:
glass jars
vanilla beans
kitchen scissors
paring knife
vodka
funnel
strainer
1. Sterilize jars, scissors, knife, and funnel.
2. Using scissors, split beans, leaving them attached at one end.
3. Scrape and mash the pods/seeds with a paring knife to release the heart of the vanilla flavor).
4. Place 3 or 4 split beans (and seeds!) in each sterilized bottle.
5. Pour vodka into each bottle--use a funnel--and leave 1" headspace.
6. Seal jars and place in a dark, cool, sunless spot for at least a month. Shake daily.
7. After 2 months, strain jars (again, sterilize the equipment) and refill with strained liquid. Add fresh, split vanilla beans.
8. As you use the extract, add more vodka. Always shake before using.
Note: I used clear glass bottles (Bormioli), but dark brown is traditional (and will prevent light from reaching the vanilla beans).

Show and Tell Friday.




Pin It

Facebook Digg it Stumbleupon Twitter
Social Bookmarking

No comments:

Post a Comment