Sunday, March 18, 2012

Rattlebridge Renovation Diary--Episode 1


My husband, Dr. G, cordially invites you to the first episode of ...

Rattlebridge Renovation Diary

Here's a transcript of the dialogue between me and Dr. G.:

Dr. G: The foyer is dark and small. I hate it.

Me: It'll look bigger and brighter with white paint.

Dr. G: Are you sure?  Can white paint work miracles?

Me: To a degree, yes. It'll work in the foyer, I promise.

Dr. G.: What about the dining room? I don't like it, either.

Me: Can you be more specific?

Dr. G.: I just don't like it.

Our son, Bandwidth, came up with a solution.

Bandwidth: Why don't you enlarge the opening between the foyer and the dining room?

Dr. G. and me: Brilliant idea!

So we told the contractor, and he removed the wall.
Dr. G thinks the space looks bigger and brighter (without white paint).

The 6'8" opening is now 8'. The foyer walls will be covered with beadboard
(painted SW's Snowbound). The curved staircase post will be replaced with a square one.

In keeping with the square theme, columns (see below) will eventually flank each side of the mammoth opening.

 Me: I don't know.
Maybe we should have left these walls alone.

Dr. G: Now you tell me!!

Let's move to the kitchen/breakfast space.
(You can see Dr. G in the family room.)

First, I tried the old farmhouse table (it's used for outdoor meals).
It looked pretty good with Midcentury Modern chairs.

Needlepoint seat covers may be out of style, but I grew up with them. 
Each cover has a different design. 

 Transcript of conversation between Dr. G and me.

Dr. G.: What's wrong with that table? Can you paint it?

Me: Gosh, no. I'd ruin it!

Dr. G.: But it's already ruined!

Me: Farm tables are hard to find.

Dr. G.: Maybe that's a good thing. (Ducks and runs).

So we auditioned my father's old cherry gateleg table.
 The painting is very dear--it represents my two sons at the "fishing hole." 
Beneath the painting is a cherry library table. It came from Ballard Designs (about 10 years ago).
Dr. G. put it together and ended up in the emergency room
(the knife slipped and he came home with ten stitches).

Me: I love how items in a home are infused with good and bad experiences.

Dr. G: I don't.

Once in a blue moon, the "bad" makes the item a keeper. It reminds you of how hard you tried. Yes, you got hurt, but look at that pretty table.

In this case, the painting is too top-heavy for the table. I need something longer.

Tomorrow I'll audition this sofa table. It's a bit ornate, one leg is wonky, and the surface is damaged.
Maybe a coat of paint would help.

I'm not ready to work on the family room (above). I'm thinking and thinking.
Do you have any suggestions?

We inherited the pale blue sofa, chairs, and rug. The curvy sofa table, mirror, pillows, throw, and lamps came from our basement. Three walls are beige; one is covered with grass cloth (I thought about painting over it, but I'm worried that the texture on one wall will look strange--so the paper will probably come down).
The ornate mirror will come back to Bald Hill Farm. I'd envisioned a "Something's Gotta Give" type of living room, but it won't work with the breakfast room.
That said, paint would make a difference.

Dr. G: Here you go with paint again. (chuckles) Hey, if you leave off the "t" in paint,
what do you get?

Me: Take two Advil and call me in the morning. (Winks)


Before and (sort of, for now) After--

I love a black-and-white kitchen.  We will eventually paint the cabinets Snowbound and add black granite counters. It would take gumption on my part, but I could paint the table and chairs
and hang black and white checkered curtains. 
(I am thinking/decorating out loud.)


Photo credit: Country Curtains


I've been saving this walnut table for the dining room.

But I could use other elements in the breakfast area, like the bug prints.
The lovely painting could go in another room.

Decorating is hard.
It takes trial and error for a room to come together.
But I have one quick, easy solution:

When one is faced with too many design decisions,
eat chocolate.

UPDATE
I made another change today. Bandwidth and I removed the painting and small table and brought in the sofa table and bug prints. I also took white linen curtains out of storage
(they used to hang in our master bedroom).
This is what I ended up with--cost $0.

I like zero-dollar decorating,
so I might not order those black and white buffalo checked curtains just yet.

It's time to ponder.


Stay tuned for future episodes ...

beadboard
a fresh coat of white paint (on the beadboard)
staircase makeover
porch before and after
kitchen revamp


A Metamorphosis Monday contribution.
Social Bookmarking

No comments:

Post a Comment