Sunday, January 13, 2013

Personalizing a Style





 

Rainy days make me appreciate Belgian and Swedish styles. The fundamental principle seems to be, Bring in the light.  I've been reading about it, and as best I can tell, this style is accomplished by using muted colors (grays, creams, whites), brighter accent colors (muddy blues and rosy-pink-reds), crystal chandeliers, mirrors, linen, candlelight, slipcovers, Gustavian antiques, lighter wood finishes. And so on.
Just as long as it brightens your inner world on a grim day.




Restoration Hardware has reinterpreted the style a bit, though I'm not sure what my husband would say if I brought home a deconstructed chair.

A tour of Houzz turned up a beautiful room. I like the blingy chandelier, gray walls, a muddy blue armoire.
Despite the muted tones, everything is light and hopeful.




Whites, creams, pale grays. A touch of gilt.


I'm not sure how to label this style. Do you know?
It features Belgian linen draperies.



A sunny white room with a hint  of gilt. This room really makes me want to leave my interior doors alone--just leave them white. 
But I'm still thinking.



Here, RH's showroom is very polished and chic, but I wouldn't be able to rest until I'd added a vase filled with peonies. Actually, I would add a lot more. Lots.



Love this kitchen by Walker Zanger. 
The clean lines and occasional curves. I'm happy to see a black Viking tucked into the creamy cabinetry.


Gilt, blossoms, painted furniture. A whispery soft wallpaper pattern.


Another RH room. 
What would you add?

The tallest headboard ever. Love the curvy dresser.


Muted paint colors from House Beautiful. 



 
The sparkle of a chandelier, the soft color and fragrance of flowers, and the rich patina of Gustavian antiques.


It's a good day to ponder style. How to make it my own.
Style is like a raindrop.
Imperfectly perfect.
Not quite round. 


 


When it comes to Swedish/Belgian style, I won't be able to tick off all of the boxes. My colors might be darker. My antiques might not be antique. Things might be skewed. But they'll be personal.

A room isn't a room until someone breathes the air, stacks books on a table, tosses a wool throw on a chair, adds tulips in a vase. It may not be perfect, but it will be alive.






 A Metamorphosis Monday contribution.

Pin It

Social Bookmarking

No comments:

Post a Comment