Monday, March 11, 2013

2 Ways to Brighten a Dark Foyer

 
The first time I stepped into Rattlebridge's foyer, I knew the house had good bones. But as I walked through the rooms, I was a bit worried about two things: how would I ever remove wallpaper from the 2-story walls, and how could we update the staircase--and work with what we had?

I didn't notice the darkness of the space.


 


 
If the sun was shining and the front door was open, the foyer was lovely.



My husband and son thought the rooms had a "closed-off" feel.
(They love open concept spaces.)
 

 
One night, while Bandwidth was measuring the dining room, he came up with the idea to blow out the walls in the foyer.
But we didn't have to go that far.
 

 
We ended up widening the opening between the foyer and the dining room.


 
White paint worked wonders, too.
 
 
 
I guess you're wondering about that wallpaper, which covered 2-stories. We didn't strip it. I discovered two other options.
 
One, the wallpaper can be covered (beadboard, anyone?). 
Two, the paper can be "mudded" at the seams, then the walls can be primed and painted. Notice the white, blurry lines over the wallpaper? That's mudding.
 
I started to go with this option. A small sample was applied on the wall, then I chickened out. I found mixed results on the Intenet. I also talked to homeowners who'd gone this route, and their paper was still on the wall, and they were pleased. But I couldn't do it, mainly because I have bad wallpaper karma.
 
 photo by Medana H.
 
 
We ended up putting beadboard over the wallpaper. I like the way it looks. Plus, it adds much-needed texture to those high walls.
 
The doorway into the study was widened, too.
 
Painting the stairway--including the railing--made a huge difference.To give it a modern country look, square posts were added.The original spindles remained.

It was Will's idea to remodel the front porch and to add a window over the door. Then he talked me into getting double doors.
 
It was good call, because this is the view from the foyer.
 
 
But even before the doors were replaced, the foyer seemed more spacious and brighter.
 
 
2 Ways to Brighten a Dark Foyer:
 
1. Widen an interior doorway.
2. Creamy white paint.
 
 (I have more ideas about other dark spaces, and I'm working on them right now. I'll report the results soon.)
 
So, we went from a dark entrance...
 
 
... to a sunny, open space.



 
Tomorrow: A Recipe for Ham and Cheese Sliders.
 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment