Saturday, March 23, 2013

Renovation Diary: Odds and Ends



It's been a busy week at Rattlebridge. 
I began with the master bath vanity. It needs to be a deeper color, and I don't think glazing will do the job. The present color is "Thatch Brown," and "Umber" is a shade darker, but I am too skittish to paint the whole thing. 


Surely a small patch will tell me what I need to know.




Next, we installed one of the crystal door knobs.


I love it.



Here's the original powder room.
A functional space, but I had to tinker.




And tinker.


The pedestal sink was removed,
and will be used here (this room flooded):

 Back to the powder room....My husband,
Will, wasn't sure he liked what was going on, and he questioned the color and style. 


I questioned it myself, even after
the console arrived.



Lighting and faucets came next.


Bandwidth kindly held up the mirror.

Before       During

I still don't know if the dainty Restoration
Hardware lighting will stand up to the heavier
mirror and console, or if the walls need to
be lighter to create more contrast with the elements. No matter what, it looks as if the vanity
light needs to be moved up.


The small area next to the sink will
be a great place for art.




 
Do you remember the wall by the refrigerator?

Boom! It's gone.



You might remember the kitchen
stairs. 


I liked the open, airy look. But to gain more wall space, we closed part of the stairway.  





Dry wall went up.
My carpenter used the old materials and
made a new stair-rail.


Speaking of drywall...
We loved Bandwidth's idea to widen the
doorway between the kitchen and great room.


Kaboom.







 Columns and trim were added. 


An "in progress" view:



On the exterior, bricks were "soldiered" around the new accent window (the same way the bricks were soldiered around the front door). 
A bit of trim was added around the window, too.
We love how it turned out.

 We'll eventually paint all of the trim the same color. Here, I went with BM's White Dove on the columns. Since the front door is SW's Urbane Bronze (and looks great with the painted bricks), I'm considering Shoji White for the trim; it's the lightest shade on this paint strip. Indoors, it reads very white (despite the brown undertones), so I'll try a sample to see how it works outdoors.
Though from a distance, White Dove looks nice.
Decisions, decisions.


The Bradford pear is starting to bloom.
And the grass is turning greener by the day.

Finally, I wanted to share something cool and quintessentially Southern that we 
found on the north edge of the farm. 


Can you guess?
(I know you will.)




Pin It

Social Bookmarking



No comments:

Post a Comment