Thursday, March 14, 2013

Foodie Friday -- March 15

 Foodie Friday is the highlight of my week. I'm so glad you're here so we can talk about our favorite subject: recipes.
 Yesterday, I made cream-filled donuts. But first, let me give a little background information.

If you're familiar with Pinterest, you've probably seen hundreds of homemade donut photos, and the main ingredient is canned biscuit dough. I was skeptical, but Paula Deen makes them! I was sold.
Click HERE for her version of the recipe.

Wouldn't a cream-filled variety be the perfect comfort food? 
Yes, indeedy. I couldn't stop thinking about cream donuts, specifically the kind that my father used to buy at the French Market in New Orleans.  Those donuts can't be replicated, of course, but I decided to experiment.

Since I was having one of my Slob Days, I didn't want to make a cream filling from scratch. And I really didn't want to drive to the grocery. Canned biscuits are a staple at our house; I have been eating bland foods lately, so I had plenty of Jell-O pudding.
I was ready to prepare my 2-ingredient donuts.
I put on my apron (I love aprons) and got to work. 

Here's a step-by-step:

What You Need:
1 can Pillsbury Grands
1 4-pack of Jell-0 pudding (4 - 5 oz per individual tub).
Yields: 8 lip-smacking, cream-filled donuts. 

Pour vegetable oil into a skillet, add biscuits, and fry. 
A medium-high flame isn't recommended unless you like scorched donuts. 
And don't answer the phone while cooking!

The biscuits will fry in a country minute. You'll only need
to flip them once. Don't overcook (I did).

Drain on paper towels.

Find a pastry bag and fill with pudding. You can also use a Baggie. Just snip off one corner, add a pastry tip, and fill with pudding.

Your biscuits/donuts need to be prepared for the filling--the inner part is poofy, anyway, but you'll need to make a little cavity. First, make a little hole. Probably a tool exists for this purpose, but I used the handle of a spoon. My flatware has a rounded tip at one end--as I explained to Bandwidth, I didn't use the large "bowl" part of the spoon. You don't want a huge exterior "hole." Even so, mine are too large. I swished the tip inside the donut, taking care not to tear the crust.

Next, I piped-in the pudding.
It was cool to watch the donuts "puff up" as they filled with "cream." 


Yes, the filling will be somewhat runny. And the donuts won't be cakey and sweet as the store-bought variety. But TRY to eat just one. It's like biting into a cloud.

Brush the tops with melted butter and quickly add granulated sugar (and I do mean quickly, because the donut tops absorb the butter, and the sugar won't stick). Powdered sugar is even better. 
A thin layer of (canned) chocolate icing could be spread on top.
If you don't like pudding inside your donuts, or if you want to try something different, add jelly, chocolate chips (insert while the donuts are still piping hot), whipped cream, cooked, sliced apples, etc. Or, if you want a firmer filling, make your own custard. Colorful sprinkles on top will only add to the fun.

Bandwidth hates cream-filled anything, so I made a
batch of "normal" donuts. I tried to cut a hole with a small cookie cutter, but it was too large, so I used a knife.
The procedure is the same: fry, drain, and add sweetness.
Fry the donut holes, too.
Time: 5 minutes, tops, if you sprinkle with sugar and don't glaze (which would be awesome, as Bandy said).

I love recipes that are super-fast, tasty, and require minimal 
clean-up. 

I've been a lazy cook all week. 
Click HERE for the recipe.

If you've been following my home renovation, click HERE to see a dark gray, almost black interior door that we painted--we're trying to decide if we want to join the black door fad. Or HERE to see "2 Ways to Brighten a Dark Foyer." 

Be sure to visit Stone Gable's On the Menu Monday.

If you're here for Foodie Friday's linky party, just add your recipe, locate the blue Inlinkz frog (below, left); add your permalink and select an image. It may take a few seconds for the entry to process. The red "X" will allow you to delete your entry if you made an error. The Foodie Friday badge is located on the right-hand sidebar if you wish to add it to your FF post. If this is your first time to participate in Foodie Friday, a tutorial is available.

"Pinners" please go to the source blog to pin and credit the bloggers/photographers for their work.
Thank you for stopping by! Have a great, food-filled week.



No comments:

Post a Comment