Saturday, March 2, 2013

Renovation Diary

 
Design decisions are never easy.
However, I didn't hesitate when I ordered the mirror (pictured above) or the console (also pictured above) for the powder room.

The lighting decisions have been harder.
 
The mirror is round, the sink is square (and white), and the plumbing fixtures are nickel (and vintage).
 
Ideally, I need a light fixture that's both round and rectangular--and the style, whatever that is, should be consistent.
 



 I've almost decided to go with a Hudson Valley fixture. The finish is nickel, the shape forms a nice rectangle, and the glass shades are white and round. What do you think?

Then again, I might try something soft yet angular.
Love the glass balls!
 
 
Aside from lighting, I'm still grappling with Color Angst. As some of you may know, the powder room was painted SW Intellectual  Gray. In person, it's too dark. And it doesn't photograph well.
When Bandwidth held up the mirror,
it almost blended into the wall.
 
 
 
I checked my SW fan deck and picked one shade lighter, Amazing Gray. A skimpy sample was put up (over the freshly painted wall...sigh).   

 



 
You can see how my camera flattered Intellectual Gray and washed out Amazing. It's not this way in person! In this tiny, windowless room, Intellectual is too dark. And Amazing is pale, pale gray.


 
Here, the tricky camera shows yet another shade, a silvery gray.




A third shot warped the color.
Now, Intellectual Gray looks gold.


I looked for more grays in my fan decks, but heaven knows how they'll look in this small, dark space. And my husband has requested that I stop buying sample pots.
 

Design decisions are maddening, aren't they?
The wrong choice can be expensive, chipping away at the budget.
So I hopped over to Houzz
and found several examples of Amazing Gray.
Here's one.




It's exactly what I want.
But will it work in my powder room? 
I'm taking a wild leap of faith.

I'm repainting the powder room with pale, washed-out Amazing Gray.
Fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment